Positive Serologic Test for Helicobacter pylori
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For gastric ulcer:
Endoscopy to visualize the ulcer; biopsy of the lesion is recommended to determine if patient has gastric adenocarcinoma.
Rapid urease test of biopsy material (CLO test) verifies the presence of active infection.
For duodenal ulcer disease:
Urea breath test is a sensitive and specific test for detection of active infection without the use of biopsy in patients with uncomplicated duodenal ulcer.
If a biopsy is performed, the CLO test, if positive, verifies the presence of active infection.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Serum 4-Hydroxynonenal Linked to Depression in Coronary Artery Disease
- Factors Influencing Adherence to Schizophrenia Medications
- Independent and Combined Tobacco and Alcohol Use Associated With Suicide Risk
- Manic Episode Inpatient Admissions Appear to Peak During Summer
- Risk Factors for PTSD in Surrogate Decision Makers of Critically Ill Patients