Monoclonal Protein on Serum Protein Electrophoresis (M Component)
Monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS)
Low concentration of monoclonal immunoglobulins (LCMI)
Heavy chain disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For multiple myeloma:
In addition to SPEP followed by immunofixation, quantitative serum immunoglobulin should be performed, because the M component must be greater than3 g/dL in the serum.
Bone marrow aspirate may be useful to show that at least 10% of the nucleated blood cells are plasma cells.
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to show aggregates of plasma cells in focal or diffuse patterns.
CBC often reveals a normochromic normocytic anemia.
Peripheral blood smear often shows RBCs in a stacked or rouleaux formation.
For Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia:
Immunofixation to identify the M component as an IgM immunoglobulin with a quantitative IgM level greater than 3 g/dL
Serum viscosity is usually increased.
Peripheral blood smear often shows RBC aggregates in a rouleaux formation.
For heavy chain disease:
Immunofixation reveals the heavy chain as alpha, gamma, or mu.
Bone marrow examination may be informative.
Quantitative determination of the serum M component to demonstrate that an IgG or IgM monoclonal protein is less than 3.0 g/dL or an IgA monoclonal protein is less than 2.0 g/dL, or that a Bence-Jones protein is less than or equal to 1.0 g in a 24-hour urine specimen
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?