INR Above or Below the Therapeutic Range
Increased INR, Coumadin over-dosage; low INR, inadequate Coumadin dosage
Clinical conditions that increase Coumadin effect and elevate INR include:
Low vitamin K intake
Poor nutritional state
Congestive heart failure
Connective tissue diseases
Conditions known to decrease Coumadin effect and decrease INR include:
High vitamin K intake
Many drugs are known to increase warfarin effect and elevate INR:
Effects may be dose-dependent & may not occur in all pts receiving Coumadin & the drug mentioned.
Drugs in this category include carbenicillin, allopurinol, erythromycin, indomethacin, ibuprofen, fluconazole, fenoprofen, isoniazid, ketoconazole, naproxen, metronidazole, phenylbutazone, moxalactam, cephalosporins, trimethoprim-sulfa (Bactrim), amiodarone, quinidine, cimetidine, clofibrate, lovastatin, omeprazole, phenytoin, tamoxifen, thyroxine, quinolones, rofecoxib, celecoxib.Drugs that can decrease warfarin effect & lower INR in some pts include antacids, antihistamines, barbiturates, rifampin, sucralfate, trazodone, carbamazepine, cholestyramine, griseofulvin, haloperidol, oral contraceptives, penicillin, dicloxacillin, and nafcillin.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important: INR value on a daily basis until patient shows a consistent value within therapeutic range at least 2 or 3 times.
Monitoring is then less frequent but at least 1 times per month.
Lab tests may be helpful in uncovering other conditions, such as liver disease, which lowers the level of coagulation factors and makes therapeutic anticoagulation difficult. Pharmacogenomics testing is a consideration, either before initiation of warfarin, shortly after initiation, or for patients with apparent hypersensitivity to warfarin.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anhedonia and Suicidal Ideation Linked Independent of Major Affective Disorders
- Rarity of Late-Onset ADHD: Symptoms Linked to Other Causes
- Cognitive Insight Impairment May Precede Neurocognitive Decline in Schizophrenia
- Expert Perspective: Link Between Depression and Mortality in Cancer Patients
- Predictive Psychiatric Genetic Testing for At-Risk Minors: Risk vs Reward
- Amber Lenses Before Bed Improve Insomnia Symptoms
- Pregnancy and Bipolar Disorder: Expert Interview With Leena Mittal, MD
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence May Mediate Future Hypomania
- Lurasidone Monotherapy Safe, Efficacious in Children, Adolescents With Bipolar Depression
- Sleep Disruption May Lead to Increased Beta Amyloid Production
- Examining Duration of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Sessions for Depression
- Pretreatment Functioning Associated With Anxiolytic Efficacy of Vortioxetine
- AAN Issues New Guidelines for Treatment of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Quality Improvement Intervention Improves Documentation of Geriatric Transitions in Care
- Sexual Harassment: Response to a National Crisis