Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Mobile-Based Application Shows Benefits for Young Patients With Schizophrenia
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance