Elevated Serum or Plasma Sodium
Excessive parenteral sodium administration in an unconscious patient whose thirst mechanism is absent.
Excessive use of diuretics or other drugs leading to water loss in the patient who cannot compensate by intake of water.
Diabetes insipidus may be central (neurogenic), acquired nephrogenic, or congenital nephrogenic.
Mineralocorticoid or glucocorticoid excess from primary hyperaldosteronism and Cushing syndrome with or without ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) production.
Insensible water loss through the skin in the patient unable to obtain water or swallow.
Clinical findings progress from somnolence to confusion, coma, and respiratory paralysis as the hypernatremia worsens.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypernatremia most frequently occurs in an ICU when excess intravenous (IV) sodium is given to an unconscious patient.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Urinary electrolytes to assess for diabetes insipidus.
Serum aldosterone to identify primary hyperaldosteronism 24-hour urine free cortisol to identify Cushing syndrome, with or without ectopic ACTH production.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?