Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Cannabidiol Concentration, Labeling Varies Widely in Products Sold Online
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Brexanolone Trials Show Positive Results in Reducing Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- ADHD Medication Exposure Associated With Increased Neonatal Mortality