Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Cannabidiol Concentration, Labeling Varies Widely in Products Sold Online
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Frequent Migraines Increase Severity of Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormal MRI and CSF Findings May Predict Risk for Alzheimer's Dementia
- Genetic Link Between Obesity Traits, Depression With Atypical Features
- Improved Outcomes for Patients Treated by Own PCP During Hospital Stay
- Patients With Excessive Daytime Sleepiness May Benefit From Sodium Oxybate