Elevated Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
Pt with true polycythemia with an increased red blood cell (RBC) mass.
Pt with a relative polycythemia and a normal RBC mass as a result of dehydration or another state producing a low plasma volume.
Polycythemia in which the RBC mass is high enough to impair blood flow.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Polycythemia vera, also known as primary polycythemia, is not secondary to any disorder.
Polycythemia from an underlying disorder (secondary polycythemia) is much more common than primary polycythemia.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum erythropoietin level is low in primary polycythemia, unlike secondary polycythemia, so the erythropoietin (EPO) level can be useful in separating primary and secondary polycythemia.
Strict criteria are required for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera: (A1 plus A2 plus any other A) or (A1 plus A2 plus any 2B) criteria:
Increased RBC mass by hemoglobin, hematocrit, or RBC number (A1)
Erythrocytosis is not secondary to another cause (A2)
Clonal cytogenetic abnormality other than the Philadelphia chromosome (A4)
Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro (A5)
Platelet count greater than 400,000/µL (B1)
WBC count greater than 12,000/µL (B2)
Panmyelosis on bone marrow biopsy (B3)
Low serum EPO (B4)
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to determine if polycythemia vera is in a hypercellular phase with greater than 60% cellularity or in a hypocellular bone marrow with markedly increased reticulin fibers.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- Effectiveness of Sertraline in Depressed Patients With Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Brexanolone Trials Show Positive Results in Reducing Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- ADHD Medication Exposure Associated With Increased Neonatal Mortality