Casts in the Urine
Hyaline casts as indicative of:
Chronic renal disease
Congestive heart failure
Red blood cell casts as indicative of:
White blood cell casts as indicative of pyelonephritis
Epithelial cell casts as indicative of renal tubular damage
Granular casts as indicative of:
Stasis of urine flow
Waxy casts as indicative of stasis of urine flow
Fatty casts as indicative of nephrotic syndrome
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum or plasma BUN or creatine is useful to assess general renal function.
If there is a concern for infection, complete blood count (CBC) with white blood cell (WBC) count and differential may be useful.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Cannabidiol Concentration, Labeling Varies Widely in Products Sold Online
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Brexanolone Trials Show Positive Results in Reducing Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- ADHD Medication Exposure Associated With Increased Neonatal Mortality