Casts in the Urine
Hyaline casts as indicative of:
Chronic renal disease
Congestive heart failure
Red blood cell casts as indicative of:
White blood cell casts as indicative of pyelonephritis
Epithelial cell casts as indicative of renal tubular damage
Granular casts as indicative of:
Stasis of urine flow
Waxy casts as indicative of stasis of urine flow
Fatty casts as indicative of nephrotic syndrome
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum or plasma BUN or creatine is useful to assess general renal function.
If there is a concern for infection, complete blood count (CBC) with white blood cell (WBC) count and differential may be useful.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Elevated Levels of Childhood Adversity in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Widespread Pain
- Neonatal Drug Withdrawal Risk Increased With Opioid Plus Psychotropic Drugs
- Improvisational Music Therapy Not Beneficial in Children With Autism
- Negative Symptoms In Schizophrenia Reduced By Novel Therapy
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome