BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?