An Elevated Value of Troponin I, Troponin T, CK-MB, and/or Myoglobin
Troponin I or T is now widely used over other markers for acute MI in the absence of other markers.
Any elevation can indicate myocyte damage; interpret results with defined institutional cutoffs for myocardial infarction.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Appropriate follow-up testing with troponin level.
Test as appropriate to rule out causes of increased troponin not caused by cardiac ischemia.
If ECG is abnormal in the presence of positive markers, this is strongly indicative for AMI.
If ECG is normal or shows a pattern not indicative for AMI with a suggestive clinical picture for MI, do serial testing for troponin pressure sensation within the chest with appropriate radiation of pain, which is suggestive of AMI.
Rule out other potential causes of an elevated troponin.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Varenicline Reduces Heavy Drinking, Cigarette Smoking in Men With Alcohol Use Disorder
- Anhedonia and Suicidal Ideation Linked Independent of Major Affective Disorders
- Cognitive Insight Impairment May Precede Neurocognitive Decline in Schizophrenia
- Rarity of Late-Onset ADHD: Symptoms Linked to Other Causes
- Predictive Psychiatric Genetic Testing for At-Risk Minors: Risk vs Reward
- Amber Lenses Before Bed Improve Insomnia Symptoms
- Pregnancy and Bipolar Disorder: Expert Interview With Leena Mittal, MD
- Preventing Suicide in Prison Inmates
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence May Mediate Future Hypomania
- Lurasidone Monotherapy Safe, Efficacious in Children, Adolescents With Bipolar Depression
- Examining Duration of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Sessions for Depression
- Pre-treatment Functioning Associated With Anxiolytic Efficacy of Vortioxetine
- AAN Issues New Guidelines for Treatment of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Quality Improvement Noted With Geriatric Assessment Note Intervention
- Sexual Harassment: Response to a National Crisis