An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Color Vision Impairment in Schizophrenia May Be Due to Medication
- Sleep Disorders Linked to Nonaffective Psychosis in Young Adults
- Lithium May Treat Children With Bipolar Disorder, but Pediatric Studies Are Lacking
- Improvement in Guidelines for Monitoring Patients Receiving Lithium Essential
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Associations Among Gender Nonconformity, Mental Distress, and Substance Use Among High School Students
- Digital Cognitive Therapy Eases Daytime Effects of Insomnia
- Predicting Poststroke Depression: Biomarkers and Beyond
- Sexual Harassment, Assault Tied to Women's Health Issues
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk