Alcoholic Liver Disease (ALD)
At a Glance
No biochemical markers pathognomonic for alcoholic liver disease (ALD) exist. The diagnosis has to start with evidence of alcohol abuse either from a history of documented blood alcohol levels or from response to one of the questionnaires desired to elicit a history of ongoing alcohol abuse.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Historically, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) has been used as a screening tool for alcoholism.
Another, relatively specific marker for ALD is carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT).
Elevations of aspartate aminotransferase up to six times the upper limit of normal and alanine aminotransferase up to 5 times its upper limit of normal is consistent with alcohol abuse, especially with a ratio greater than 2:1. A ratio of 3:1 has a sensitivity of 90% for the diagnosis.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?