Abnormal Liver Function Tests: Elevated Serum Bilirubin and/or Predominant Elevations in ALP, 5'-NT, and/or Gamma Glutamyltransferase (GGT)
Red blood cell (RBC) hemolysis from a variety of causes
Obstruction of the biliary tract from any of the several possibilities
Intrahepatic biliary diseases: primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)
Hereditary conjugated hyperbilirubinemias: Dubin-Johnson syndrome, Rotor syndrome
Hereditary unconjugated hyperbilirubinemias: Criggler-Najjar syndrome type I, Criggler-Najjar syndrome type II, Gilbert syndrome
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to identify common causes of elevated bilirubin, such as hepatitis, are useful.
Perform tests for liver function in addition to total and unconjugated bilirubin, including AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase, albumin, GGT, or 5´-nucleotidase, among others.
Tests to rule out RBC hemolysis as a cause for increased bilirubin are important.
Very high alkaline phosphatase and GGT or 5´-nucleotidase, with smaller elevations in AST and ALT
Positive anti-mitochondrial antibody test in 95% of PBC patientts
Alkaline phosphatase, GGT, 5´-nucleotidase, ALT, and AST elevations similar to those found in PBC
Total bilirubin and unconjugated bilirubin usually 2-5 mg/dL, with at least 50% of the bilirubin conjugated
Coproporphyrin excretion in urine increased 2.5- to 5-fold over normal healthy controls
Criggler-Najjar syndrome type I
Markedly elevated total bilirubin (15 to >50 mg/dL) with essentially all of the bilirubin unconjugated
Liver function tests within the normal range
Total bilirubin values for type II typically lower than Criggler-Najjar type I; type II, the bilirubin is almost all unconjugated, as in the type I disorder.
Total bilirubin concentration usually less than 3 mg/dL; essentially all is unconjugated with normal liver function tests
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Advice for Parents Whose Child Is Seeking Mental Health Treatment
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
- Long-term Response to Prophylactic Mood Stabilizers in Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Supervised Withdrawal, an Option for Pregnant Women Addicted to Opioids
- Navigating the Thin Line Between Identification & Intimacy With Patients