A Positive Test for Hypercoagulability
Presence of factor V Leiden (can be heterozygous or homozygous)
Presence of prothrombin 20210 mutation (can be heterozygous or homozygous)
Presence of antiphospholipid antibody; could be manifested as lupus anticoagulant or anticardiolipin antibodies or anti-beta 2 glycoprotein 1 antibodies (IgG, IgM, IgA)
Deficiency of protein C not produced by Coumadin or other acquired cause
Deficiency of protein S not produced by Coumadin or other acquired cause
Deficiency of antithrombin not produced by heparin or low-molecular-weight heparin therapy or other acquired cause
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Test for activated protein C resistance as a screening test for factor V Leiden mutation.
If screening test suggests a heterozygous or homozygous form of factor V Leiden mutation, perform a genetic test to determine zygosity.
If lupus anticoagulant is present, the activated protein C resistance test will suffer interference; only the genetic test for factor V Leiden should be performed in this circumstance.
Perform genetic test for prothrombin 20210 mutation; there is no simple screening test for this abnormality.
Test for antiphospholipid antibody, both for lupus anticoagulant and anticardiolipin antibodies, and/or anti-beta 2 glycoprotein 1 antibodies (IgG and IgM at least).
Test for protein C functional activity; if the functional activity is low, test for protein C antigen to reveal type of protein C deficiency.
Test for protein S either by functional assay or free antigen assay; if there is a deficiency, measure total protein S antigen to type a congenitally low protein S patientt. Test for antithrombin functional activity; if it is low in absence of heparin, measure antithrombin antigenic activity to type the deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?