Labetalol HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Labetalol HCl 100mg, 200mg, 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Labetalol HCl Tablets:
Individualize. Initially 100mg twice daily. Titrate at 2–3 day intervals in increments of 100mg twice daily. Usual maintenance: 200–400mg twice daily; max 2.4g/day.
Usual maintenance: 100–200mg twice daily.
Asthma. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Severe bradycardia, other conditions associated with prolonged or severe hypotension.
History of heart failure; withdraw gradually if cardiac failure continues despite adequate digitalization and diuretic. Monitor hepatic function; discontinue at first sign of liver injury. COPD. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation (ischemic heart disease may be exacerbated). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with verapamil. Potentiates hypotension with nitroglycerin. May block epinephrine, β-agonist bronchodilators. Adjust antidiabetic medication. Potentiated by cimetidine. Tremor with tricyclic antidepressants. Synergism with halothane; do not use high concentrations.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker/alpha-1 blocker.
Dizziness, GI upset, fatigue, nasal stuffiness, ejaculation failure, headache, dyspnea, vertigo, rash, orthostatic hypotension, edema, heart failure, bronchospasm, jaundice.
Formerly known under the brand names Normodyne, Trandate.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder