Labetalol HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Labetalol HCl 5mg/mL; soln for IV inj and infusion after dilution; contains parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Labetalol HCl Injection:
Individualize. Maintain supine position; monitor BP. Repeated IV inj: 20mg over 2 minutes, may give additional 40mg or 80mg at 10 minute intervals up to max total dose of 300mg or until desired supine BP. Slow continuous infusion: 2mg/min (see literature).
Bronchial asthma. Overt cardiac failure. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Severe bradycardia. Other conditions associated with severe and prolonged hypotension. History of obstructive airway disease (eg, asthma).
Ischemic heart disease or failure. Monitor hepatic function: discontinue at first sign of liver injury. If signs of cardiac failure, treat with digitalis or diuretic, discontinue if failure continues. COPD. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with verapamil. Potentiates hypotension with nitroglycerin. May blunt effects of epinephrine, β-agonist bronchodilators. Avoid alkaline drugs (eg, furosemide) administration in same infusion line. Adjust antidiabetic medication. Potentiated by cimetidine and halothane. Tremor with tricyclic antidepressants. May cause false positive urine test for amphetamine.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker/alpha-1 blocker.
Symptomatic postural hypotension, GI upset, dizziness, increased BUN and serum creatinine, paresthesias, sweating, somnolence, flushing, ventricular arrhythmia, vertigo, pruritus.
Formerly known under the brand names Normodyne, Trandate.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders