Generic Name and Formulations:
Sapropterin dihydrochloride 100mg; tabs.
Indications for KUVAN:
In conjunction with a phenylalanine (Phe)-restricted diet: To reduce blood Phe levels in hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive phenylketonuria (PKU).
Adults and Children:
<1 month: consult manufacturer. Take with food at same time each day. Dissolve tab in 4–8oz water or apple juice (may crush tab) and drink within 15 mins (tab may not completely dissolve). 1 month–6yrs: Initially 10mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response may increase to 20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. ≥7yrs: 10–20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. Usual range 5–20mg/kg per day; adjust based on blood Phe levels.
Monitor blood levels of Phe after 1 week to assess effect, then periodically. Discontinue if anaphylaxis occurs. Maintain Phe-restricted diet. Monitor BP and change in neurologic status. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that can inhibit folate metabolism (eg, methotrexate), PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), other nitric oxide donors, levodopa; monitor. May potentiate drugs that are P-gp or BCRP substrates.
Enzyme cofactor (BH4).
Headache, rhinorrhea, pharyngolaryngeal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cough, nasal congestion, gastritis, hypophenylalaninemia, hyperactivity (monitor).
Tabs—120; Packet—1, 30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders