Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegloticase 8mg/mL (as uricase protein) in phosphate buffered saline; for IV infusion after dilution.
Indications for KRYSTEXXA:
Chronic gout in adult patients refractory to conventional therapy.
Discontinue oral urate-lowering agents before starting; do not institute while on pegloticase therapy. Premedicate with antihistamines and corticosteroids. Give by IV infusion over at least 2 hours. ≥18yrs: 8mg once every 2 weeks. Slow rate, or stop and restart at lower rate, if infusion reaction occurs; observe at least 1 hour post-infusion.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Not for treating asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Screen patients at risk for G6PD deficiency (African, Mediterranean, or Southern Asian descent) prior to starting. Administer in healthcare setting by clinician prepared to manage infusion reactions and anaphylaxis. Monitor closely for anaphylaxis/ infusion reactions, esp. in patients receiving retreatment after a drug-free interval >4 weeks. CHF. Monitor serum uric acid levels before each infusion; consider discontinuing when levels >6mg/dL, particularly with 2 consecutive levels >6mg/dL (increased risk of anaphylaxis and infusion reactions). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
PEGylated uric acid specific enzyme.
Gout flares (prophylax with NSAIDs or colchicine), infusion reactions, GI upset, contusion, ecchymosis, nasopharyngitis, constipation, chest pain, anaphylaxis, CHF exacerbation, antibody formation.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?