Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetracaine HCl, oxymetazoline HCl 6mg/0.1mg; per spray; aqueous soln for intranasal use.
St. Renatus, LLC
Indications for KOVANAZE :
Regional anesthesia for restorative procedures on Teeth 4–13 and A–J in adults and children weighing ≥40kg.
≥18yrs: 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray. 1 additional spray can be given if inadequate response achieved 10mins after the second spray.
<3yrs or <40kg: not recommended. ≥3yrs (≥40kg): 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray.
Monitor for hypertension and dysphagia. Uncontrolled hypertension or uncontrolled active thyroid disease: not recommended. History of frequent nosebleeds (≥5/month); avoid or monitor carefully if used. G6PD deficiency. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. Severe hepatic disease or pseudocholinesterase deficiency: monitor for toxicity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Topical anesthetic + sympathomimetic.
Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine; monitor carefully. Increased risk of hypertension with MAOIs, nonselective beta adrenergic antagonists, TCAs: not recommended; use alternative anesthetic if unavoidable. Discontinue other oxymetazoline-containing products 24hrs prior to Kovanaze use. Avoid concomitant other intranasal products.
Rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, nasal discomfort, oropharyngeal pain, increased lacrimation; transient BP increase, epistaxis, methemoglobinemia, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose nasal spray (0.2mL)—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age