Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetracaine HCl, oxymetazoline HCl 6mg/0.1mg; per spray; aqueous soln for intranasal use.
St. Renatus, LLC
Indications for KOVANAZE :
Regional anesthesia for restorative procedures on Teeth 4–13 and A–J in adults and children weighing ≥40kg.
≥18yrs: 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray. 1 additional spray can be given if inadequate response achieved 10mins after the second spray.
<3yrs or <40kg: not recommended. ≥3yrs (≥40kg): 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray.
Monitor for hypertension and dysphagia. Uncontrolled hypertension or uncontrolled active thyroid disease: not recommended. History of frequent nosebleeds (≥5/month); avoid or monitor carefully if used. G6PD deficiency. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. Severe hepatic disease or pseudocholinesterase deficiency: monitor for toxicity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine; monitor carefully. Increased risk of hypertension with MAOIs, nonselective beta adrenergic antagonists, TCAs: not recommended; use alternative anesthetic if unavoidable. Discontinue other oxymetazoline-containing products 24hrs prior to Kovanaze use. Avoid concomitant other intranasal products.
Topical anesthetic + sympathomimetic.
Rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, nasal discomfort, oropharyngeal pain, increased lacrimation; transient BP increase, epistaxis, methemoglobinemia, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose nasal spray (0.2mL)—30
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder