Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine, aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; inactivated polio vaccine; susp for IM inj; preservative-free; contains traces of formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, neomycin, polymixin B.
Indications for KINRIX:
Immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio: As the 5th dose in the DTaP immunization series and the 4th dose in the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) series in children 4–6 years of age (before 7th birthday) who previously received Infanrix (DTaP) and/or Pediarix (DTaP, HB, IPV) for the first 3 doses and Infanrix for the 4th dose.
<4yrs or ≥7yrs: not recommended. 4–6yrs: One dose of 0.5mL IM in deltoid muscle.
Anaphylaxis associated with previous diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, or polio vaccine. Encephalopathy within 7 days of previous pertussis vaccine. Progressive neurological disorders (eg, infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, progressive encephalopathy).
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus vaccination. Fever (≥105°F within 48hrs), persistent inconsolable crying (≥3hrs within 48hrs), shock (within 48hrs), or seizures (within 3 days) after previous pertussis vaccine: see literature. Seizure risk: may give antipyretics. Latex allergy (prefilled syringes). Have epinephrine available. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, MMR). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
DTaP + IPV.
Inj site pain, redness, local swelling, increase in arm circumference, drowsiness, fever, loss of appetite.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder