Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine, aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; inactivated polio vaccine; susp for IM inj; preservative-free; contains traces of formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, neomycin, polymixin B.
Indications for KINRIX:
Immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio: As the 5th dose in the DTaP immunization series and the 4th dose in the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) series in children 4–6 years of age (before 7th birthday) who previously received Infanrix (DTaP) and/or Pediarix (DTaP, HB, IPV) for the first 3 doses and Infanrix for the 4th dose.
<4yrs or ≥7yrs: not recommended. 4–6yrs: One dose of 0.5mL IM in deltoid muscle.
Anaphylaxis associated with previous diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, or polio vaccine. Encephalopathy within 7 days of previous pertussis vaccine. Progressive neurological disorders (eg, infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, progressive encephalopathy).
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus vaccination. Fever (≥105°F within 48hrs), persistent inconsolable crying (≥3hrs within 48hrs), shock (within 48hrs), or seizures (within 3 days) after previous pertussis vaccine: see literature. Seizure risk: may give antipyretics. Latex allergy (prefilled syringes). Have epinephrine available. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
DTaP + IPV.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, MMR). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Inj site pain, redness, local swelling, increase in arm circumference, drowsiness, fever, loss of appetite.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age