Generic Name and Formulations:
Sincalide 5mcg; per vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for KINEVAC:
May be used (1) to stimulate gallbladder contraction, as may be assessed by various methods of diagnostic imaging, or to obtain by duodenal aspiration a sample of concentrated bile for analysis of cholesterol, bile salts, phospholipids, and crystals; (2) to stimulate pancreatic secretion (especially in conjunction with secretin) prior
to obtaining a duodenal aspirate for analysis of enzyme activity, composition, and cytology; (3) to accelerate the transit of a barium meal through the small bowel, thereby decreasing the time and extent of radiation associated with fluoroscopy and x-ray examination of the intestinal tract.
Prompt contraction of gallbladder: 0.02mcg/kg IV over 30–60 seconds; if satisfactory contraction does not occur in 15 minutes, a second dose of 0.04mcg/kg may be given. Secretin-Kinevac test of pancreatic function: 0.02mcg/kg IV over a 30-minute interval (start 30 minutes after secretin infusion). To accelerate transit time of barium meal through small bowel: 0.04mcg/kg IV over 30–60 seconds; if satisfactory transit of barium meal has not occurred in 30 minutes, a second dose of 0.04mcg/kg may be given.
Small gallbladder stones (risk of lodging in cystic duct or common bile duct; rare). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B); spontaneous abortion or premature induction of labor may occur, do not give women near term. Nursing mothers.
Cholecystopancreatic-gastrointestinal hormone peptide.
Abdominal discomfort/pain, nausea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders