Generic Name and Formulations:
Sincalide 5mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for KINEVAC:
To stimulate gallbladder contraction, as may be assessed by various methods of diagnostic imaging, or to obtain by duodenal aspiration a sample of concentrated bile for analysis of cholesterol, bile salts, phospholipids, and crystals. To stimulate pancreatic secretion (especially in conjunction with secretin) prior to obtaining a duodenal aspirate for analysis of enzyme activity, composition, and cytology. To accelerate the transit of a barium meal through the small bowel, thereby decreasing the time and extent of radiation associated with fluoroscopy and x-ray examination of the intestinal tract.
Give by IV inj. Gallbladder contraction: 0.02mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory contraction after 15mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg. Pancreatic function test: 0.02mcg/kg infused over 30mins (start 30mins after secretin infusion). Barium meal transit: 0.04mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory transit of barium meal after 30mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg.
Have appropriate medical treatment readily available. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions; discontinue if occur and do not restart. Small gallbladder stones (risk of lodging in cystic duct or common bile duct; rare). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B); spontaneous abortion or premature induction of labor may occur, do not give to women near term. Nursing mothers.
Cholecystopancreatic-gastrointestinal hormone peptide.
Abdominal discomfort/pain, nausea; anaphylaxis, other hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age