Generic Name and Formulations:
Palifermin 6.25mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; preservative-free; contains mannitol.
Indications for KEPIVANCE:
To decrease the incidence and duration of severe oral mucositis in patients with hematologic malignancies receiving myelotoxic therapy in the setting of autologous hematopoietic stem cell support. As supportive care for preparative regimens predicted to result in ≥ WHO Grade 3 mucositis in the majority of patients.
Limitations Of use:
Not established in non-hematologic malignancies. Not effective in decreasing the incidence of severe mucositis in patients with hematologic malignancies receiving myelotoxic therapy in the setting of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell support. Not for use with melphalan 200mg/m2 as conditioning regimen.
See full labeling. Give as IV bolus inj for 6 doses total. 60mcg/kg per day for 3 consecutive days before myelotoxic therapy (give 3rd dose 24–48hrs prior to beginning myelotoxic therapy); then 60mcg/kg per day for 3 consecutive days after myelotoxic therapy completion (give 1st dose on the day of hematopoietic stem cell infusion after the infusion is completed, and at least 7 days after the most recent palifermin dose).
Potential for stimulation of tumor growth. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Keratinocyte growth factor (recombinant).
If heparin is used to maintain IV line, rinse line with saline before and after palifermin use. Do not give palifermin before, during, or within 24hrs of myelotoxic chemotherapy.
Skin toxicities (rash, erythema, edema, pruritus), oral toxicities (dysesthesia, tongue discoloration, tongue thickening, alteration of taste), fever, pain, arthralgias, dysesthesia, elevated serum amylase (Grade 3/4).
Single-use vials—3, 6
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Risk for Heart Attack and Stroke Increases With Psychological Distress
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses