Generic Name and Formulations:
Palifermin 6.25mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; preservative-free; contains mannitol.
Indications for KEPIVANCE:
To decrease the incidence and duration of severe oral mucositis in patients with hematologic malignancies receiving myelotoxic therapy in the setting of autologous hematopoietic stem cell support. As supportive care for preparative regimens predicted to result in ≥ WHO Grade 3 mucositis in the majority of patients.
Limitations Of use:
Not established in non-hematologic malignancies. Not effective in decreasing the incidence of severe mucositis in patients with hematologic malignancies receiving myelotoxic therapy in the setting of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell support. Not for use with melphalan 200mg/m2 as conditioning regimen.
See full labeling. Give as IV bolus inj for 6 doses total. 60mcg/kg per day for 3 consecutive days before myelotoxic therapy (give 3rd dose 24–48hrs prior to beginning myelotoxic therapy); then 60mcg/kg per day for 3 consecutive days after myelotoxic therapy completion (give 1st dose on the day of hematopoietic stem cell infusion after the infusion is completed, and at least 7 days after the most recent palifermin dose).
Potential for stimulation of tumor growth. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
If heparin is used to maintain IV line, rinse line with saline before and after palifermin use. Do not give palifermin before, during, or within 24hrs of myelotoxic chemotherapy.
Keratinocyte growth factor (recombinant).
Skin toxicities (rash, erythema, edema, pruritus), oral toxicities (dysesthesia, tongue discoloration, tongue thickening, alteration of taste), fever, pain, arthralgias, dysesthesia, elevated serum amylase (Grade 3/4).
Single-use vials—3, 6
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder