Generic Name and Formulations:
Cephalexin 250mg, 500mg, 750mg; caps.
Indications for KEFLEX:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, skin and skin structure, bone, respiratory or genitourinary tract.
1–4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 250mg every 6hrs. Strep pharyngitis, skin and skin structure, and uncomplicated cystitis (>15yrs of age): 500mg every 12hrs. Treat cystitis for 7–14 days. Max 4g/day.
25–50mg/kg per day in divided doses; max 100mg/kg per day. Otitis media: 75–100mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Strep pharyngitis (>1yr of age) or skin and skin structure: may give in 2 divided doses every 12hrs.
Penicillin or other allergy. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates metformin (monitor and adjust metformin dose). Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Diarrhea, other GI disturbances, dizziness, fatigue, headache, hypersensitivity reactions, itch; rare: blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Caps 250mg, 500mg—20, 100; 750mg—50
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder