Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate; pwd; sodium content 4.1mEq/g.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAYEXALATE:
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
See full labeling. Oral: give in an upright position; 15g as a suspension 1–4 times daily. Rectal enema: 30–50g in 100mL every 6hrs.
See full labeling. 1g per 1mEq of potassium as basis of calculation may be used.
Obstructive bowel disease. Neonates with reduced gut motility.
Avoid in patients at risk for constipation/impaction (eg, history of impaction, chronic constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, vascular intestinal atherosclerosis, previous bowel resection, bowel obstruction); discontinue if constipation develops. Post-surgery: avoid if have not had a bowel movement. CHF, hypertension, edema: monitor for fluid overload. Risk of aspiration. Monitor electrolytes (eg, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Neonates: do not give by oral route. Infants.
Cation exchange resin.
Increased risk of intestinal necrosis with concomitant sorbitol; not recommended. Separate dosing by ≥3hrs before or ≥3hrs after other oral drugs (6hrs in patients with gastroparesis). Increased risk of systemic alkalosis with nonadsorbable cation-donating antacids and laxatives. Reduces absorption of thyroxine, lithium.
Anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, GI concretions (bezoars), ischemic colitis, nausea, vomiting; intestinal necrosis, electrolyte disturbances.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age