Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate; pwd; sodium content 4.1mEq/g.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAYEXALATE:
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
See full labeling. Oral: give in an upright position; 15g as a suspension 1–4 times daily. Rectal enema: 30–50g in 100mL every 6hrs.
See full labeling. 1g per 1mEq of potassium as basis of calculation may be used.
Obstructive bowel disease. Neonates with reduced gut motility.
Avoid in patients at risk for constipation/impaction (eg, history of impaction, chronic constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, vascular intestinal atherosclerosis, previous bowel resection, bowel obstruction); discontinue if constipation develops. Post-surgery: avoid if have not had a bowel movement. CHF, hypertension, edema: monitor for fluid overload. Risk of aspiration. Monitor electrolytes (eg, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Neonates: do not give by oral route. Infants.
Increased risk of intestinal necrosis with concomitant sorbitol; not recommended. Separate dosing by ≥3hrs before or ≥3hrs after other oral drugs (6hrs in patients with gastroparesis). Increased risk of systemic alkalosis with nonadsorbable cation-donating antacids and laxatives. Reduces absorption of thyroxine, lithium.
Cation exchange resin.
Anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, GI concretions (bezoars), ischemic colitis, nausea, vomiting; intestinal necrosis, electrolyte disturbances.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder