KARBINAL ER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Carbinoxamine maleate extended-release 4mg/5mL; oral susp; strawberry-banana flavor; contain sulfites.
Indications for KARBINAL ER:
Allergic (seasonal and perennial) and vasomotor rhinitis, conjunctivitis, urticaria, angioedema, reactions to blood or plasma. Adjunct in anaphylaxis. Dermatographism.
Use accurate measuring device. Individualize. 7.5–20mL (6–16mg) every 12hrs.
<2yrs: contraindicated. Use accurate measuring device. Individualize. 2–3yrs: 3.75–5mL (3–4mg) every 12hrs; 4–5yrs: 3.75–10mL (3–8mg) every 12hrs; 6–11yrs: 7.5–15mL (6–12mg) every 12hrs.
Children <2yrs old. Concomitant MAOIs. Nursing mothers.
Increased intraocular pressure. Narrow angle glaucoma. Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Stenosing peptic ulcer. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Sulfite allergy. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
See Contraindications. MAOIs potentiate anticholinergic effects. Additive CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers); avoid.
Sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, disturbed coordination, epigastric distress, thickening of bronchial secretions; hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management