Generic Name and Formulations:
Clonidine HCl 0.1mg, 0.2mg; extended-release tablets.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAPVAY:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
<6yrs: not recommended. Swallow whole. Titrate by response. Initially 0.1mg at bedtime for 1 week, then 0.1mg twice daily for 1 week, then 0.1mg in the morning and 0.2mg at bedtime for 1 week, then 0.2mg twice daily. Withdraw gradually; reduce by 0.1mg/day at 3–7 day intervals. Renal dysfunction: may need reduced dose.
Hypotension, bradycardia, heart block, vascular disease, cardio- or cerebrovascular disease, chronic renal failure, conduction disturbances: uptitrate slowly and monitor. History of, or conditions that predispose to syncope. Monitor pulse, BP. Maintain adequate hydration. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Category C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates alcohol, other CNS depressants, antihypertensives. Hypotensive effect may be antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Additive AV block, bradycardia with drugs that affect cardiac conduction (eg, digitalis, calcium channel blockers, β-blockers). Avoid other forms of clonidine. May need to adjust dose of concurrent stimulant medication.
Central alpha-2 agonist.
Somnolence, fatigue, upper respiratory tract infection, irritability, sore throat, insomnia, nightmares, emotional disorder, constipation, nasal congestion, fever, dry mouth, ear pain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders