Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium (as chloride) 10mEq; sust-rel tabs.
Indications for K-TAB:
Hypokalemia, including that caused by diuretics. Digitalis intoxication without AV block.
Do not chew or crush. Take with meals. Prophylaxis: 20mEq daily. Treatment: 40–100mEq daily in divided doses; max 20mEq/dose.
Hyperkalemia. Chronic renal disease. Acute dehydration. Heat cramps. Severe tissue destruction. Adrenal insufficiency. Familial periodic paralysis. Acidosis (potassium chloride products). Alkalosis (potassium bicarbonate products). Esophageal compression due to enlarged left atrium. Decreased GI motility.
Discontinue if GI bleed, ulceration, or other disturbances occur. Renal or cardiac disease. Monitor potassium level, clinical status, acid-base balance, and ECG. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, spironolactone, triamterene, amiloride, and potassium-containing salt substitutes. Anticholinergics, other agents that decrease GI motility increase risk of serious GI reactions with tablets.
Hyperkalemia, GI discomfort and irritation, diarrhea, rash (rare). Esophageal and GI ulceration, bleeding, obstruction, perforation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users