Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium (as chloride) 10mEq; sust-rel tabs.
Indications for K-TAB:
Hypokalemia, including that caused by diuretics. Digitalis intoxication without AV block.
Do not chew or crush. Take with meals. Prophylaxis: 20mEq daily. Treatment: 40–100mEq daily in divided doses; max 20mEq/dose.
Hyperkalemia. Chronic renal disease. Acute dehydration. Heat cramps. Severe tissue destruction. Adrenal insufficiency. Familial periodic paralysis. Acidosis (potassium chloride products). Alkalosis (potassium bicarbonate products). Esophageal compression due to enlarged left atrium. Decreased GI motility.
Discontinue if GI bleed, ulceration, or other disturbances occur. Renal or cardiac disease. Monitor potassium level, clinical status, acid-base balance, and ECG. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, spironolactone, triamterene, amiloride, and potassium-containing salt substitutes. Anticholinergics, other agents that decrease GI motility increase risk of serious GI reactions with tablets.
Hyperkalemia, GI discomfort and irritation, diarrhea, rash (rare). Esophageal and GI ulceration, bleeding, obstruction, perforation.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV