K-PHOS ORIGINAL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium acid phosphate 500mg; equiv. to potassium 3.67mEq; scored tabs.
Indications for K-PHOS ORIGINAL:
2 tabs dissolved in 6–8oz water 4 times a day with meals and at bedtime.
Renal or adrenal insufficiency. Severe hepatic disease. Infected phosphate stones. Hyperphosphatemia. Hyperkalemia (Original).
Electrolyte restrictions. Cardiac disease. Hypertension. Edema. Monitor serum electrolytes and for GI obstruction. Discontinue if laxation persists after dosage reduction. Hypoparathyroidism. Osteomalacia. Pancreatitis. Dehydration. Toxemia of pregnancy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by antacids. Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, triamterene, spironolactone, amiloride, potassium supplements. Toxicity with digitalis. Hypernatremia with methyldopa, guanethidine, other antihypertensives, corticotropins, mineralocorticoids.
Small bowel lesions, laxation, headache, dizziness, hyperacidity, nausea, weakness, confusion, paresthesias, seizures, arrhythmias, shortness of breath, edema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children