K-PHOS #2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium acid phosphate 305mg, sodium acid phosphate 700mg; equiv. to potassium 2.3mEq and sodium 5.8mEq; tabs.
Indications for K-PHOS #2:
1 tab 4 times a day with a full glass of water. If urine very alkaline, 1 tab every 2 hours; max 8 tabs daily.
Renal or adrenal insufficiency. Severe hepatic disease. Infected phosphate stones. Hyperphosphatemia. Hyperkalemia (Original).
Electrolyte restrictions. Cardiac disease. Hypertension. Edema. Monitor serum electrolytes and for GI obstruction. Discontinue if laxation persists after dosage reduction. Hypoparathyroidism. Osteomalacia. Pancreatitis. Dehydration. Toxemia of pregnancy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by antacids. Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, triamterene, spironolactone, amiloride, potassium supplements. Toxicity with digitalis. Hypernatremia with methyldopa, guanethidine, other antihypertensives, corticotropins, mineralocorticoids.
Small bowel lesions, laxation, headache, dizziness, hyperacidity, nausea, weakness, confusion, paresthesias, seizures, arrhythmias, shortness of breath, edema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed