K-PHOS #2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium acid phosphate 305mg, sodium acid phosphate 700mg; equiv. to potassium 2.3mEq and sodium 5.8mEq; tabs.
Indications for K-PHOS #2:
1 tab 4 times a day with a full glass of water. If urine very alkaline, 1 tab every 2 hours; max 8 tabs daily.
Renal or adrenal insufficiency. Severe hepatic disease. Infected phosphate stones. Hyperphosphatemia. Hyperkalemia (Original).
Electrolyte restrictions. Cardiac disease. Hypertension. Edema. Monitor serum electrolytes and for GI obstruction. Discontinue if laxation persists after dosage reduction. Hypoparathyroidism. Osteomalacia. Pancreatitis. Dehydration. Toxemia of pregnancy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by antacids. Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, triamterene, spironolactone, amiloride, potassium supplements. Toxicity with digitalis. Hypernatremia with methyldopa, guanethidine, other antihypertensives, corticotropins, mineralocorticoids.
Small bowel lesions, laxation, headache, dizziness, hyperacidity, nausea, weakness, confusion, paresthesias, seizures, arrhythmias, shortness of breath, edema.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder