JENTADUETO XR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Linagliptin, metformin HCl ext-rel; 2.5mg/1000mg, 5mg/1000mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for JENTADUETO XR:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes when treatment with both linagliptin and metformin is appropriate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in patients with history of pancreatitis.
Individualize. Swallow whole. Take once daily with a meal. Currently not treated with metformin: initially 5mg/1000mg once daily. Already treated with metformin: start with 5mg linagliptin and current metformin dose once daily. Already treated with linagliptin and metformin or Jentadueto: switch to XR tabs containing 5mg linagliptin and current metformin dose once daily. Max 5mg/2000mg daily. Renal impairment (eGFR 30–45mL/min/1.73m2): not recommended. If eGFR <45mL/min/1.73m2, assess risk/benefit; discontinue if eGFR <30mL/min/1.73m2.
<18yrs: not established.
Severe renal impairment (eGFR <30mL/min/1.73m2). Metabolic acidosis, diabetic ketoacidosis.
Increased risk of metformin-associated lactic acidosis in renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant use of certain drugs (eg, cationic drugs), ≥65yrs of age, undergoing radiological contrast study, surgery and other procedures, hypoxic states, and excessive alcohol intake; discontinue if lactic acidosis occurs. Discontinue at time of, or prior to intravascular iodinated contrast imaging in patients with eGFR 30–60mL/min/1.73m2, history of hepatic impairment, alcoholism, hypoxemia, or will be given intra-arterial contrast; reevaluate eGFR 48hrs after procedure and restart therapy if renally stable. Suspend therapy if dehydration occurs or before surgery. Avoid if clinical or lab evidence of hepatic disease. Consider risks/benefits in patients with known risk factors for heart failure; monitor for signs/symptoms; evaluate and consider discontinuing if develops. Assess renal function prior to starting and periodically thereafter; more frequently in elderly or if eGFR <60mL/min/1.73m2. Discontinue if pancreatitis, serious hypersensitivity reactions, severe joint pain, or bullous pemphigoid is suspected or occurs. History of angioedema to other DPP-4 inhibitors. Elderly, debilitated, uncompensated strenuous exercise, malnourished or deficient caloric intake, adrenal or pituitary insufficiency, or alcohol intoxication: increased risk of hypoglycemia. Monitor hematology (esp. serum Vit. B12 in susceptible patients). Premenopausal women with anovulatory: ovulation may occur. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of lactic acidosis with topiramate, other carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, zonisamide, acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide); monitor. Concomitant cationic drugs that interfere with renal tubular transport systems (eg, ranolazine, vandetanib, dolutegravir, cimetidine) may increase metformin levels; monitor. Avoid excessive alcohol intake (potentiates effects of metformin on lactate). Antagonized by strong P-gp or CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); consider alternatives to linagliptin if used in combination. Diuretics, steroids, phenothiazines, thyroid products, estrogens, oral contraceptives, phenytoin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers, isoniazid, nicotinic acid, others may cause hyperglycemia. May need lower dose of concomitant sulfonylurea or insulin to reduce risk of hypoglycemia. β-blockers may mask hypoglycemia.
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor + biguanide.
Nasopharyngitis, diarrhea, cough, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, pruritus, pancreatitis, hypersensitivity reactions; hypoglycemia; rare: lactic acidosis (may be fatal).
Tabs—60, 180; XR tabs 2.5mg/1000mg—60, 180; 5mg/1000mg—30, 90
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder