Generic Name and Formulations:
Dutasteride 0.5mg, tamsulosin HCl 0.4mg; caps.
Indications for JALYN:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Limitations of use: not approved for preventing prostate cancer.
Swallow whole. Take 1 cap daily approx. 30mins after the same meal each day.
Not for use in children. Pregnant women and those of childbearing potential should avoid handling caps. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA) values (set new baseline PSA after 3–6 months of treatment); double PSA levels to compare with normal values. Rule out prostate cancer and other urological disorders prior to treatment. Syncope. End-stage renal disease. Severe hepatic impairment. Cataract surgery (intraoperative floppy iris syndrome possible); do not initiate tamsulosin-containing products. Poor metabolizers (low CYP2D6 activity). Sulfa allergy. Avoid donating blood until at least 6 months after last dose.
Concomitant strong inhibitors of CYP3A4 (eg, ketoconazole): not recommended; caution with strong CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine). Do not use with other alpha-blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine. Dutasteride may be potentiated by moderate CYP3A4/5 inhibitors (eg, diltiazem, erythromycin). Tamsulosin may be potentiated by a concomitant combination of CYP3A4 and CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, terbinafine). Caution with PDE-5 inhibitors (may increase orthostatic hypotension). Monitor warfarin.
Type I and II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor + alpha-1A blocker.
Ejaculation disorders, impotence, decreased libido, dizziness, breast disorders, orthostatic hypotension and/or syncope; rare: priapism.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records