Generic Name and Formulations:
Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine; inactivated; aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains formaldehyde, protamine sulfate; preservative-free.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for IXIARO:
Japanese encephalitis immunization.
≥17yrs: Two doses given 28 days apart. Each dose is 0.5mL IM into deltoid muscle; complete series at least 1 week prior to potential exposure.
<17yrs: not recommended.
Severe allergic reaction (eg, anaphylaxis) after a previous dose.
Immunodeficiency. Bleeding disorders. Acute febrile illness. Allergy to protamine sulfate. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see literature. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Japanese encephalitis vaccine.
Local reactions (eg, pain, tenderness), headache, myalgia, fatigue, flu-like illness, GI upset, pyrexia.
Single-dose syringe (0.5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders