Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as maleate) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for ISTALOL:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1 drop in affected eye(s) once daily in the AM.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. History of bronchospasm. Not for use as a sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma.
History of cardiac failure. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure, and before surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Diabetes. May mask hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Contact lenses (remove; may reinsert 15 min after instillation). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other topical β-blockers. May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics, and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. May be potentiated by quinidine. May cause conduction defects with digoxin, calcium channel blockers (avoid concomitant use in impaired cardiac function).
Local irritation (burning, stinging), blurred vision, cataract, conjunctival injection, infection, headache, hypertension, itching. Systemic β-blocker effects (eg, bronchospasm, bradycardia, cardiac failure, muscle weakness).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder