Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoniazid 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Isoniazid:
Prophylaxis and treatment of susceptible tuberculosis.
Prophylaxis: 300mg once daily. Active infection: 5mg/kg daily; max 300mg once daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Prophylaxis: 10mg/kg once daily; max 300mg daily. Active infection: 10–20mg/kg once daily; max 500mg daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Drug-induced hepatitis. Previous isoniazid-associated hepatic injury. Severe adverse reactions to isoniazid (eg, drug fever, chills, arthritis). Acute liver disease of any etiology.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Monitor hepatic and ocular function. Alcoholism. Diabetes. Increased risk of liver damage with increasing age. Multiple drug therapy and concomitant pyridoxine may be necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates phenytoin. Alcohol increases risk of hepatitis. Pyridoxine deficiency increases risk of neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy (esp. in slow acetylators), elevated serum transaminases (SGOT; SGPT), bilirubinemia, bilirubinuria, jaundice, hepatitis (may be fatal), nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, pancreatitis, blood dyscrasias, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, skin eruptions, TEN, DRESS), pyridoxine deficiency, hyperglycemia, pellagra, metabolic acidosis, gynecomastia, rheumatic syndrome, SLE-like syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand names INH, Laniazid.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder