Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoniazid 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Isoniazid:
Prophylaxis and treatment of susceptible tuberculosis.
Prophylaxis: 300mg once daily. Active infection: 5mg/kg daily; max 300mg once daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Prophylaxis: 10mg/kg once daily; max 300mg daily. Active infection: 10–20mg/kg once daily; max 500mg daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Drug-induced hepatitis. Previous isoniazid-associated hepatic injury. Severe adverse reactions to isoniazid (eg, drug fever, chills, arthritis). Acute liver disease of any etiology.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Monitor hepatic and ocular function. Alcoholism. Diabetes. Increased risk of liver damage with increasing age. Multiple drug therapy and concomitant pyridoxine may be necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates phenytoin. Alcohol increases risk of hepatitis. Pyridoxine deficiency increases risk of neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy (esp. in slow acetylators), elevated serum transaminases (SGOT; SGPT), bilirubinemia, bilirubinuria, jaundice, hepatitis (may be fatal), nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, pancreatitis, blood dyscrasias, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, skin eruptions, TEN, DRESS), pyridoxine deficiency, hyperglycemia, pellagra, metabolic acidosis, gynecomastia, rheumatic syndrome, SLE-like syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand names INH, Laniazid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children