Generic Name and Formulations:
Gefitinib 250mg; tabs.
Indications for IRESSA:
First-line treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with EGFR exon 19 deletions or exon 21 (L858R) substitution mutations as detected by an FDA-approved test.
Limitations Of use:
Not established in metastatic NSCLC with EGFR mutations other than exon 19 deletions or exon 21 substitution mutations.
May disperse tabs in water; drink immediately or give via NG tube. Give 250mg once daily until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity occurs. Dose modifications for adverse reactions: see full labeling. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: increase to 500mg daily; resume at 250mg seven days after discontinuation of the CYP3A4 inducer.
Permanently discontinue if confirmed interstitial lung disease (ILD), severe hepatic impairment, GI perforation, or persistent ulcerative keratitis occurs. Withhold for up to 14 days if acute onset or worsening pulmonary symptoms, NCI CTCAE Grade ≥2 ALT and/or AST elevations, Grade ≥3 diarrhea or skin reactions, or severe or worsening ocular disorders (including keratitis) occurs. Interrupt or discontinue therapy if severe bullous and exfoliative skin disorders develop. Obtain periodic LFTs. Moderate and severe hepatic impairment; monitor. Use effective contraception during treatment and for at least 2 weeks after completion. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole); monitor. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin, phenytoin, tricyclics); see Adults. May be antagonized by drugs that increase gastric pH (eg, H2-blockers, antacids); take gefitinib 6 hours after or 6 hours before an H2-blocker or antacid. Avoid concomitant PPIs; if necessary, take gefitinib 12 hours after last dose or 12 hours before next PPI dose. May potentiate warfarin; monitor INR.
Tyrosine kinase inhibitor.
Skin reactions, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, stomatitis; ILD, hepatotoxicity, GI perforation, ocular disorders.
Testing considerations: EGFR mutation analysis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder