Ipratropium bromide + Albuterol sulfate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ipratropium bromide 0.5 mg/3 mL (0.017%), albuterol (as sulfate) 2.5 mg/3 mL (0.083%); soln for inh.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ipratropium bromide + Albuterol sulfate:
COPD when a second aerosol bronchodilator is needed.
≥18yrs: 1 vial by nebulizer 4–6 times daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Avoid excessive use. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Hyperthyroidism. Diabetes. Seizure disorders. Narrow angle glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Hepatic or renal disease. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Caution with other anticholinergics, sympathomimetics, drugs that lower potassium. Monitor digoxin. Antagonized by β-blockers.
Anticholinergic + beta-2 agonist.
Lung disorders, pharyngitis, chest pain, GI disturbances, bronchitis, UTI, leg cramps, pain, voice changes, anticholinergic effects, nervousness, headache, dizziness, insomnia, tachycardia, hypokalemia, paradoxical bronchospasm.
Formerly known under the brand name DuoNeb.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy