Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent poliovirus vaccine; inactivated; whole virus grown in monkey kidney cells; IM or SC inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IPOL:
Poliomyelitis immunization (virus Types 1, 2, and 3).
Inject IM or SC in deltoid area. Each dose is 0.5mL. Previously unvaccinated: Two doses at a 1–2 month interval and a third dose 6–12 months later. Incompletely vaccinated: give 1–2 doses to complete series. Completely vaccinated: may give booster dose.
Inject IM or SC in midlateral thigh. Each dose is 0.5mL. Under 6 wks: not recommended. Full IPV schedule: One dose at 2 months, 4 months, 6–18 months, and 4–6 years of age. Sequential schedule with oral polio vaccine (OPV) (do not use OPV for immunocompromised patients or patients with immunocompromised household contacts): One dose of IPOL at 2 months and at 4 months of age, then 1 dose of OPV at 12–18 months and 1 dose of OPV at 4–6 years of age.
Hypersensitivity to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B. May defer in acute febrile illness.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Immunodeficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local irritation, fever, sleepiness, fussiness, decreased appetite.
Syringe 0.5mL (w. needle)—1, 10; Multidose vial (10 doses)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers