Generic Name and Formulations:
Apraclonidine (as HCl) 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for IOPIDINE:
Short-term adjunctive therapy to reduce elevated IOP.
Remove contact lenses; may reinsert 15min after instillation. 1–2 drops 3 times daily. Allow at least 5min between instillation of other oph drugs.
Clonidine allergy. Concomitant MAOIs.
Monitor visual fields. Severe uncontrolled cardiovascular disease, hypertension, coronary insufficiency. Recent myocardial infarction. Cerebrovascular disease. Raynaud's syndrome. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Discontinue if ocular allergic-like reactions occur. Renal or hepatic impairment: closely monitor cardiovascular parameters. Depression. Masks hypoglycemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. May potentiate CNS depressants, alcohol. May be antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Additive hypotensive effects with neuroleptics; hypotensive and pulse effects with β-blockers, antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, others (eg, clonidine).
Hyperemia, pruritus, dry mouth, itching, discomfort, tearing, dizziness, solmnolence, lid edema, blurred vision, foreign body sensation, dry eye, conjunctivitis, discharge, blanching, headache, asthenia, dry nose, taste perversion; tachyphylaxis may develop after 1 month.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder