Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinyl estradiol 30micrograms (84 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for INTROVALE:
1 tab daily for 91 days; repeat. Use Sunday start for first cycle.
Pre-menarchal: not recommended.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Valvular heart disease with thrombogenic complications. Uncontrolled hypertension. Diabetes with vascular involvement. Headaches with focal neurological symptoms. Major surgery with prolonged immobilization. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior pill use. Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism. Gallbladder disease. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Depression. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Monitor blood pressure. Do regular complete physical exams. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort, topiramate); use backup contraception. May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs, atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, itraconazole, ketoconazole. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones.
Progestin + estrogen.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, bleeding irregularities, dysmenorrhea, weight change, mastodynia, acne, abdominal pain, anxiety, depression; angioedema, chloasma, others (see literature).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments