Insomnia Disorder Archive
Patients with mental illness who received CBT for insomnia saw symptom improvements in both insomnia and their psychiatric condition.
CBT for insomnia can effectively treat insomnia in patients with comorbid major depression taking antidepressants.
Adults in the CBT-I group achieved much bigger reductions in depressive and anxiety symptoms than peers using control website.
A group of psychiatric associations is recommending that behavioral changes and other nonpharmacological interventions be used instead.
Students who have sleep problems and have high stress have an elevated suicide risk.
Young children who had trouble sleeping had a higher risk of developing psychiatric disorders two years later.
People who said they had insomnia or other sleep difficulties had less tolerance to pain than those who slept normally.
Symptoms of depression and insomnia are the strongest indicators of frequent nightmares.
Sleep dysfunction may be a symptom of mental disorders and should be targeted for treatment by clinicians.
Mindfulness practices, which encourage focusing attention on present moment, helped older adults with sleep problems get a better night's sleep.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia reduced symptoms of insomnia and suicidal ideation in veterans.
Getting better quality sleep in early adulthood can lead to better cognitive functioning later in life.
Chronic insomniacs who took longer than 14 minutes to fall asleep had a 300% higher risk of hypertension.
Women who use alcohol have a higher suicide risk than those who don't, though there is also a relationship between insomnia and suicide.
The light emitted from the electronic devices appears to suppress melatonin, a hormone that helps to promote sleep.
People who are in the early stages of addiction recovery have rates of insomnia five times higher than the general population.
Difficulty falling asleep was found to be a factor in more than one-third of motor vehicle deaths.
Men who reported a history of sleep disturbances were more than 50% more likely to develop Alzheimer's.
Patients with sexsomnia engage in sexual activity, including intercourse, while asleep.
Adults with insomnia who engaged in meditation-based therapies were more likely to see sleep improvement than doing nothing.
Patients that engaged in cognitive behavioral therapy experienced less insomnia compared with doing meditation or attending a sleep seminar.
Older adults with widespread pain twice as likely to develop insomnia compared to those who don't suffer from pain.
Combination of six predictors account for sleep quality scores in patients with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
The orexin receptor antagonist is the first such drug designed to affect sleep-wake cycle.
More research needed on risk-benefit of drug therapy for shift work sleep disorder.
A tendency to be active at night may be a risk factor for insomnia and depression.
Slow wave sleep in hypnosis-suggestible females almost doubled after hearing a hypnotic suggestion.
Magnesium deficiency can contribute to insomnia, seizures, anxiety, pain and other neuropsychiatric problems.
It's possible that insomnia leads some people to turn to marijuana, study authors say
Daytime drowsiness could interfere with driving, daily activities.
Information on characteristics and duration of particular insomnia types.
Lemon balm, known for its calmative effects, is frequently recommended for patients with insomnia, anxiety, and other nervous system-related conditions.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records