INNOPRAN XL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl 80mg, 120mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for INNOPRAN XL:
≥18yrs: Take once daily at bedtime (10PM). Take consistently with regard to food. Initially 80mg/day, may increase to 120mg/day.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia, sick sinus syndrome and >1st -degree AV block unless paced. Asthma.
Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Bronchospastic disease. CHF. Diabetes. May mask signs of hypoglycemia, hyperthyroidism. Surgery. SLE. Musculoskeletal disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by substrates or inhibitors of CYP2D6 (eg, amiodarone, cimetidine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, quinidine, ritonavir), CYP1A2 (eg, imipramine, ciprofloxacin, theophylline, zolmitriptan), or CYP2C19 (eg, fluconazole), CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, alcohol. Antagonized by NSAIDs, aluminum hydroxide; bile acid resins (eg, cholestyramine, colestipol); smoking, chronic alcohol use, and other inducers of CYP2D6, 1A2, or 2C19. Potentiates amiodarone, chlorpromazine, diazepam, lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, propafenone, theophylline, thioridazine, warfarin, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, digitalis, disopyramide, lidocaine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Increased orthostatic hypotension with α-blockers. Caution when withdrawing clonidine. Increased bronchial hyperreactivity with ACEIs. May interfere with glaucoma or thyroid tests. May block epinephrine.
Fatigue, dizziness, constipation, bradycardia, heart failure/block, depression, visual disturbances, vivid dreams, GI upset, bronchospasm, agranulocytosis, myopathy, myotonia, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria); rare: SLE, alopecia, impotence.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments