Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as ferric carboxymaltose) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion; preservative-free.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for INJECTAFER:
Iron deficiency anemia in adults who have intolerance or insufficient response to oral iron; or have non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease.
Give by slow IV push (undiluted) at rate of approx. 100mg (2mL)/min; or by IV infusion (diluted) administered over at least 15 mins. When giving via IV infusion, dilute to concentration not less than 2mg iron/mL. Give in 2 doses separated by >7 days. <50kg: 15mg/kg/dose. ≥50kg: 750mg/dose. Total cumulative dose per course: max 1500mg. May repeat treatment if condition reoccurs.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Monitor for serious hypersensitivity reactions during and after administration for >30 mins and until clinically stable. Monitor for signs/symptoms of hypertension after each administration. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
Lab assays may result in overestimating serum iron and transferrin bound iron within 24hrs after administration.
Nausea, hypertension, flushing, hypophosphatemia, dizziness; rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial (15mL)—1, 2
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder