Generic Name and Formulations:
Elemental iron (as ferric carboxymaltose) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for INJECTAFER:
Iron deficiency anemia in adults who have intolerance or insufficient response to oral iron; or have non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease.
Give by slow IV push (undiluted) at rate of approx. 100mg (2mL)/min; or by IV infusion (diluted) administered over at least 15 mins. When giving via IV infusion, dilute to concentration not less than 2mg iron/mL. Give in 2 doses separated by >7 days. <50kg: 15mg/kg/dose. ≥50kg: 750mg/dose. Total cumulative dose per course: max 1500mg. May repeat treatment if condition reoccurs.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Monitor for serious hypersensitivity reactions during and after administration for ≥30mins and until clinically stable. Monitor for signs/symptoms of hypertension after each administration. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: monitor infants for GI toxicity.
Lab assays may overestimate serum iron and transferrin bound iron within 24hrs after administration.
Nausea, hypertension, flushing, hypophosphatemia, dizziness; rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial (15mL)—1, 2
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders