Generic Name and Formulations:
Valbenazine 40mg, 80mg; caps.
Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.
- Tourette Syndrome Treatment Granted Orphan Drug Designation by FDA
- FDA Grants Fast Track Status to Oral Treatment for Acute Suicidal Ideation
- Uninterrupted Treatment for Psychiatric Disorders Possible With Deutetrabenazine
Indications for INGREZZA:
Take with or without food. Initially 40mg once daily; increase to 80mg once daily after 1 week. For some patients, continuation of 40mg once daily may be considered. Moderate or severe hepatic impairment: 40mg once daily. Concomitant with strong CYP3A4 inducers: not recommended. Concomitant with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors: 40mg once daily. Concomitant with strong CYP2D6 inhibitors, CYP2D6 poor metabolizers: consider reducing dose.
Somnolence. Avoid in congenital long QT syndrome or arrhythmias associated with a prolonged QT interval. CYP2D6 poor metabolizers. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 5 days after final dose).
Vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) inhibitor.
See Adults. Avoid concomitant with MAOIs (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, selegiline). Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin). May be potentiated by strong CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine, fluoxetine, quinidine). Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John's wort). Monitor digoxin levels; dose adjustment may be needed.
Somnolence, anticholinergic effects, balance disorders/fall, headache, akathisia, vomiting, nausea, arthralgia.
Caps 40mg—30, 90; 80mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses