Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Indications for INFED:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
Give by IV or by deep IM (into upper outer quadrant of buttock only) inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemias not associated with iron deficiency.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of drug allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Dialysis. Cardiovascular disease. May reactivate quiescent rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates (avoid during first 4 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin or decrease serum calcium levels.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal; even if test dose was tolerated), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others; possible IM inj site tumors, sepsis in neonates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations