Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Indications for INFED:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
Give by IV or by deep IM (into upper outer quadrant of buttock only) inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemias not associated with iron deficiency.
Risk for anaphylactic-type reactions.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of drug allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Dialysis. Cardiovascular disease. May reactivate quiescent rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates (avoid during first 4 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin or decrease serum calcium levels.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal; even if test dose was tolerated), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others; possible IM inj site tumors, sepsis in neonates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age