Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl, hydrochlorothiazide; 40mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propranolol/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Titrate individual components.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. CHF. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Overt heart failure. Ischemic heart disease. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Bronchospasm, COPD. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Hyperthyroidism. Monitor electrolytes. Surgery. SLE. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by alcohol, CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, chlorpromazine, cimetidine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Potentiates antipyrine, lidocaine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, theophylline. Adjust antidiabetic medication. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, lidocaine, diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Amphotericin B, ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid, glaucoma screening tests. May block epinephrine.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, GI upset, depression, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria), photosensitivity, pharyngitis, agranulocytosis.
Formerly known under the brand name Inderide.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders