Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl, hydrochlorothiazide; 40mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propranolol/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Titrate individual components.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. CHF. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Overt heart failure. Ischemic heart disease. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Bronchospasm, COPD. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Hyperthyroidism. Monitor electrolytes. Surgery. SLE. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Potentiated by alcohol, CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, chlorpromazine, cimetidine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Potentiates antipyrine, lidocaine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, theophylline. Adjust antidiabetic medication. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, lidocaine, diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Amphotericin B, ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid, glaucoma screening tests. May block epinephrine.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, GI upset, depression, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria), photosensitivity, pharyngitis, agranulocytosis.
Formerly known under the brand name Inderide.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age