Generic Name and Formulations:
Mecasermin 10mg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for INCRELEX:
Growth failure in children with severe primary IGF-1 deficiency (Primary IGFD) or in those with growth hormone (GH) gene deletion who have developed neutralizing antibodies to GH.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute to GH for approved GH indications.
Closed epiphyses: not recommended.
Administer before or after (+/–20 minutes) a meal/snack; rotate inj sites. <2yrs: not established. ≥2yrs: initially 0.04 to 0.08mg/kg SC twice daily; may increase after 1 week by 0.04mg/kg per dose; max 0.12mg/kg twice daily.
Growth promotion in patients with closed epiphyses. Active or suspected neoplasia. IV administration.
Not for secondary forms of IGF-1 deficiency. Correct thyroid and nutritional deficiences before treatment. Measure preprandial glucose level before treatment and monitor until a tolerated dose is established. Reduce dose if hypoglycemia occurs despite adequate food intake with therapy. Monitor for lymphoid tissue hypertrophy complications. Do funduscopic exam for intracranial hypertension at the start of therapy, then periodically. Evaluate any child with onset of limp or hip/knee pain for possible slipped capital femoral epiphysis. Monitor for progression of scoliosis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-1 (rhIGF-1).
Hypoglycemia, local/systemic hypersensitivity (including anaphylaxis), lymphoid tissue hypertrophy (eg, tonsillar and adenoidal hypertrophy); intracranial hypertension.
Multidose vial (40mg/vial)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age