Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine 2.5Units/mL; grown in human diploid cell cultures (inactivated whole virus); inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IMOVAX:
Preexposure immunization and postexposure treatment of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Preexposure: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster doses: 1mL every 2 yrs (see literature). Postexposure treatment: a 5 dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28 or 30 (WHO or ACIP recommendations), and 90 (give 1st dose with rabies immune globulin). If previously immunized against rabies, only 2 doses are given, immediately after exposure, and 3 days later (no rabies immune globulin needed).
Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (pain, erythema, swelling), systemic reactions (nausea, headache, muscle aches, abdominal pain).
Single-dose vial (1mL)—1 (w. syringe and diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling