IMITREX NASAL SPRAY Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sumatriptan 5mg, 20mg; per spray.
Indications for IMITREX NASAL SPRAY:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 5mg, 10mg, or 20mg once. Reevaluate if no response. May repeat once after 2hrs; max 40mg/day. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Do not give intravenously. History, symptoms, or signs of ischemic cardiac (eg, MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia), cerebrovascular (eg, stroke, TIA), or peripheral vascular (eg, ischemic bowel disease) syndromes. Vasospastic coronary artery disease. Uncontrolled hypertension. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Severe hepatic impairment. Within 24 hours of ergot-type drugs (eg, methysergide, dihydroergotamine), or other 5-HT1 agonists. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAO-A inhibitors (MAOI type A).
Confirm diagnosis. Avoid excessive use. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary artery disease (eg, postmenopausal women, hypercholesterolemia, men over age 40, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Seizure risk. Latex allergy (Inj). Instruct patient on use of autoinjector. Elderly: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers (avoid nursing for 12 hours after treatment).
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Ergotamines, other 5-HT1 agonists, MAOIs: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline) or SNRIs (eg, duloxetine, venlafaxine).
Tingling, warm/hot sensation, flushing; chest/neck/sinus/jaw discomfort; dizziness/vertigo, muscle pain/weakness, numbness, fatigue, drowsiness, anxiety, sweating, local reactions, seizures, colonic ischemia, drug overuse headache (discontinue if occurs), hypersensitivity reactions; rare: serious cardiac and cerebrovascular events (including fatalities), vision loss. Nasal spray: also dysgeusia, local irritation.
Register pregnant patients exposed to sumatriptan by calling (800) 336-2176.
STATdose kit (2 prefilled cartridges + 1 Pen)—1; Refills (2 prefilled cartridges)—1; Single-dose vials (6mg/0.5mL)—5; Tabs—9; Nasal spray (single dose)—6
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age