Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluocinolone acetonide 0.19mg; implant for intravitreal inj.
Indications for ILUVIEN:
Diabetic macular edema (DME) in patients who have been previously treated with a course of corticosteroids without a significant rise in intraocular pressure.
Give by intravitreal inj. See full labeling for administration.
Ocular or periocular infections. Glaucoma.
Monitor for increased intraocular pressure and endophthalmitis; may include check for perfusion of the optic nerve head immediately, tonometry within 30 mins, and biomicroscopy between 2–7 days post inj. Risk of secondary ocular infections (eg, bacterial, fungal, viral). History of ocular herpes simplex: not recommended. Risk of implant migration if absent or torn posterior capsule of the lens. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Cataract development, increased intraocular pressure; injection-related effects (eg, endophthalmitis, eye inflammation, retinal detachments), others.
Single-use applicator—1 (w. needle)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed